First built in 1771, the Carmel mission is in the midst of its third renovation. In need of some serious repair due to damage from previous restorations where cement was used, NHL 2, 3.5, and 5 was used. In particular, the dome needed some special attention requiring some lime injection and use of NHL 3.5 to fill the cavities. NHL 2 was used to coat the dome to allow for some flexibility and then finished with a lime wash. NHL 5 was used in some lower areas of the mission that required some sloping.
Completed in 1607 under the King of France, Henri IV, the Pont Neuf (translates to New Bridge) is the oldest bridge in Paris. A complete restoration was undertaken in 2007 with Saint Astier Natural Hydraulic Limes.
Classified by the UNESCO as a World Heritage monument, Mont Saint Michel Abbey was founded at the beginning of the Christian era. The collegiate church dates from the IX and X centuries, but the site, as we see it today, has been developed over several centuries. Saint Astier Natural Hydraulic Limes were chosen due to its authenticity, sustainability and its ability to adapt to a marine environment for ongoing preservation, restoration and maintenance.
Her Majesty’s Royal Palace and fortress, more commonly known as the Tower of London, was built in 1078 by William the Conqueror. Throughout the centuries, it has been used as a fortress, a prison, a royal residence and an armory, and currently is the home of the crown jewels and a museum. Today, Saint Astier provides the Natural Hydraulic Lime mortars for maintenance and restoration.
Notre Dame is one of the most recognizable examples of Gothic Architecture in France and in Europe. Its construction began in 1163 and lasted for two centuries. Maintenance, restoration work, and preservation have used Saint Astier Natural Hydraulic Limes extensively, as do most French historical churches, basilicas, chapels and cathedrals.
The Metropolitan Museum of Art was founded in 1870. The Restoration of the Fifth Avenue façade presented many challenges in balancing modern intervention with traditional restoration procedures. The selection, testing and ultimate adoption of Saint Astier Natural Hydraulic Lime mortars was based on ASTM, British Standards and European Norms. The masonry had suffered significant damage from the use of high-strength cement based mortar.
The Restoration of the Fifth Avenue Facades of the Metropolitan Museum of Art (pdf) by Timothy Allanbrook and Kyle C. Normandin, APT International Bulletin, Vol. XXXVIIII, No. 4.
Dover Castle was founded in the XII century. Massive rebuilding took place at the end of the XVIII century during the Napoleonic Wars. Saint Astier Natural Hydraulic Limes have been specified for the multi-million-dollar restoration, which began in early 2010.
Given as a gift to the King, Frederick V, in 1754, the Royal Academy of Fine Arts in Copenhagen is still situated in the same building along with its School of Architecture. It is one of the most ancient schools of Architecture in the world. Saint Astier Natural Hydraulic Lime mortars have been selected for repairs, repointing and maintenance.
The Conciergerie was part of the Royal Palace for the Kings of France from the X to the XIV centuries. It then became a prison until 1914. Queen Marie-Antoinette was incarcerated there prior to her beheading. New layout and preservation work such as repointing necessitated the use of compatible materials. Saint Astier Natural Hydraulic Limes were consequently specified.
The Smuggler’s Ranch House, located on Santa Cruz Island off the coast of Santa Barbara, California was originally built in 1887 out of rubble masonry with lime mortar to hold it all together. The island used to be the largest privately held island off the continental United States before being transferred to the National Park Service and the Nature Conservancy. It was used for extensive ranching for much of its history but can now be visited as a National Park. The restoration of the Smuggler’s Ranch House began in the summer of 2012 using the 3-coat process with different graded Ecomortars and finished with Lime Paint.